Mutton Nihari is a mutton curry recipe made with meat which basically means Mutton that is eaten in the early morning usually. It is very popular and is well enjoyed in Ramzan. So let’s see how to make Mutton Nihari.
Black Pepper 8-10.
Green Cardamom 4-5
Black Cardamom 2-3
Javitri 2-3 flower
Cumin Seeds 2tsp
Sauf 1.1/2 tsp
Sonth (Dry Ginger Powder) 1tsp
Red Mirchi Powder 1tsp
Kashmiri Powder 1/2 tsp
Kala Jeera 1/2 tsp
Ajwain 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1tsp
Salt to taste.
Wheat flour 4-5 tbsp
Bay Leaf 1-2
Turmeric Powder 1/2tsp Gram floor roasted 3-4 tbsp
Curd 1 cup
(In a blender add all the whole spices (except powdered spices) to blend and mix all other powdered spices and keep in a jar. This mixture can be preserved for long for other recipes like butter paneer etc.
Now we start our Nihari Mutton Dish in two different ways.
Mutton 1 KG
Desi Ghee 4-5 tbsp(not oil)
Finely sliced Onion 1 cup
Green Chilli thinly chopped 3-4
Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tbsp
Cream 2 tbsp (optional)
Finely chopped coriander 1/2 cup Gulab Jal 2 tbsp
- Take a Pan of the deep thick bottom and add ghee on low medium flame.
- Add bay and onion to fry till brownish.
- Now add mutton and roast for 10 minutes till its color is changed to brown. Add Ginger Garlic paste and add
- turmeric, salt and bay leaf to quote on all the mutton for another ten minutes.
- This is the perfect time to add Nihari Masala on low flame to cook all the spice are quoted on mutton.
- Add 5-6 cups of boiled water to tender the mutton on low flame at least 4-5 hours.
- Ensure mutton is soft and to check with a spoon and if tendered will be cut softly.
- In a glass take one cup of water and add wheat flour and make a thin batter ensuring there is no lumps and mix spoon wise and stirring regularly so that this batter is mixed in the whole mutton.
- Cover the pan and cook the flour batter in the gravy for another 10-15 minutes.
- so that batter is properly cooked. And the gravy is thickened. Add Gulab Jal and mix it well.
- Garnish the Nihari Mutton with chopped coriander and sliced green chili.
- Additionally, garnish with cream is optional.
In a deep bottom, pan boils the mutton on low medium flame by adding some salt ensuring mutton is softened.
Add 4-5 cups of water if needed. (keep aside the mutton and mutton stock separately)
- In a pan add ghee on low flame and add bay leaf, ginger garlic paste & fry till raw smell goes.
- Now add sliced onions and fry till brownish.
- Add Nihari Masala and stir well.
- Add Mutton in this mixture and saute for ten minutes so that all ingredients cover the mutton.
- Add mutton stock and mix well. Add curd, gram flour (roasted), and cover the pan so that mutton is softened.
- Do not forget to stir in between.
- Before serving dish garnish with chopped coriander, thinly sliced chili and cream.
Enjoy the nihari mutton dish in two different tastes of your liking with your family members friends with khambiri roti or rice.