Dal Makhani is a one the creamiest and tastiest dishes in Northern cuisine. Its a super-rich lentil stew cooked in butter and cream so let’s see how to make Dal Makhni.
Soak whole urad dal – 1 cup
Chana dal – 1/4 cup
Rajma – 1/2 cup
Butter – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds/ jeera 1/2 tbsp
Cloves / laungs – 4
Black cardamom / kali elaichi – 1
Green cardamom / hari elaichi – 3
Cinnamon / dal chini – 2 inch
Bay leaf / tej patta – 2
Mace /javitri 1 flower
4 onion – chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Jaiphal / nutmeg powder – 1/4 tsp
Tomato puree – 2 cups
Green chillies – 3
Ginger julienned – 1 inch
Water – 1.5 cup
Cream – 1/2 cup
Garam masala powder – 1.5 tsp
Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp more if needed
1) To make dal makhani mix the dal in a bowl and with gentle hand give a massage for around a minute and remove the excess water
2) Pressure cook dal’s in the cooker and cover it water fully.
3) Cook the dal for 2 minutes and give it a stir then cook it for 4 to 5 whistle.
4) Take a big pan on medium-high heat and add butter, jeera, laung, kali elaichi, hari elaichi, cinnamon, bay leaf and javitri flower.
5) Now let these masala sizzle and cook it until a bit of aroma comes from the mix.
6) Now to make Dal Makhani gravy masala add onion and cook till it until its golden brown and then.
7) Add ginger-garlic paste and cook it for another 2 minutes.
8) Add tomato puree, salt, Kashmiri red chilli powder and nutmeg powder.
9) Cook the gravy until you see it leaving oil on the sides.
10) Turn the flame off and let the gravy cool down a bit.
11) Now add the boiled pressure cooked dal to this mix.
12) Add milk and mix the dal well.
13) Add garam masala powder, salt and Kasuri methi powder. Mix well. now add butter and let the dal.
Dal Makhani is ready to serve and can be enjoyed with Naan, parantha and rice.
For some exciting videos and some more content follow us on Instagram click here