Alasandalu Curry Recipe or Lobia curry is a curry made with tomato and onion base gravy with masala and spinach this is completely different from the one that is made in North India as the spices here have a different influence. So lets see how to make Alasandalu Curry.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used):
- 1 cup of soaked alasandalu / lobia / black eyed peas
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- 1 green chili
- 1 small tomato (optional)
- 1 large potato, boiled and cubed (optional)
- Leafy veggies like spinach or methi as needed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¾ tsp. ginger garlic paste (can use only ginger too)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala or coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp of mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- Oil as needed
How to make the recipe:
- To make bobbarlu curry, wash and soak alasandalu for at least 8 to 10 hrs.
- Pressure cook till soft not mushy. I pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Take 2 tbsp. boiled alasandalu/lobia and granulate to smooth paste with little water. Put aside the remainder of the dark peered toward beans.
- Heat a container with oil, add curry leaves, bean stew, mustard and cumin, when they start to snap, add hing.
- Add onions, sprinkle some salt and fry till they turn pink.
- Add ginger garlic glue and sauté till the crude smell disappears.
- Add tomato, turmeric and minimal more salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn soft, absolutely soft.
- Add boiled potatoes or any leafy veggies and sauté for a min.
- Add red chilli powder and fry for a min.
- Pour water depending on the situation and heat it to the point of boiling.
- Add the ground paste, beans and garam masala. Cook on a low fire for 5 to 7 mins with the top shut. Adjust more or less water as needed.
- Serve alasandalu curry with roti or rice.